The creation of the Florence Regional Airport began in 1928 when local leaders purchase 300 acres of land for the purpose of developing an Airport. With the onset of World War II, the War Department acquired an additional 1,400 acres and used the site as an Army Air Corps training base. During the war years, P-39 Aircobra, P-40 Warhawk, Pursuit/Fighter aircraft, and A-20 Havoc and A-26 Marauder light attack/bomber aircraft crews and support personnel trained here. Following the war, the property was deeded back to the City of Florence and later split with Florence County. The Florence City-County Airport Commission governed the Airport until the state legislature created the Pee Dee Regional Airport District in 1999. The Airport District is a political subdivision of the State of South Carolina and encompasses Dillon, Florence and Marion Counties.
- JOHN D. RUSSELL FLORENCE, S.C. – World War II a...